Friday, August 1, 2014

Intro- and Orly 2014 Fall "SMOKY" collection

Wow. First blog post. Where do I begin? HI! My name is Cara. I love polish. I have a problem. But I am quite sure there are worse problems out there (as I sit here and drink a strawberry beer). I not only love polish, but i make polish as well. Maybe you have heard of me?? Either way, this blog is here as both a tool and a creative outlet. You get to see my ramblings of polish, food, my fur babies...its a win win really! 

OK! Now, on to the good stuff. Today I am happy to post about Orly's new fall collection called "smoky". I saw this collection at Cosmoprof in Vegas a short while ago. I was more than excited when i saw it. Fall is my FAVORITE polish season. I absolutely love anything dark and vampy. It's always when my favorite color (deep dark sexy purples) are readily available. Happieness in a bottle.

First- we have HIGHLIGHT-

"highlight" is a grey bone cream. Honestly, there is nothing special about this polish. I have 4 or 5 of them in my collection. Don't get me wrong, it is a great color, perfectly on point, just same old same old. As for the formula, this is thin. Very thin. But manageable. This is three coats with seche vite on top. 


BLEND-
"blend" is a purpley brown mushroom color. Not a color I typically purchase to be honest. Its too...chic and grown up for me. Ha. If you like this color, you probably have 3 or 4 in your collection, and probably dont need this one. Another nothing special polish. And on the formula, what a hot mess this was. Have your ever tried to paint your nails with water?? Because this is what you will be doing. It did build up after 3 coats, but it was unmanageable, and a complete nightmare. The only thing is that since i got this, I have decided to give the mushroom color a second chance on me. I liked it more than I thought i would. Maybe that is because I'm 30 now? 

BRUSH IT ON-
"brush it on" is a glitter/flakie like polish. Burnt orange to copper in color. It has a sparkle that is BLINDING! :warning- do not operate heavy machinery with this polish:. Brush it on is very sheer. I'm not 100% sure where Orly was going with this? Is it a topper? Is it meant to be used alone? I used it alone. This is 5 coats. I'm sure it would look great over another polish. Formula? Thin and sheer, but nothing like blend! 

EDGY-

"edgy"- a smokey shimmery bottle of epic. This looks green in my photo, but its more blackish brown with a goldish shimmer. It reminds me of a fall night next to the fire. Roasting marshmallows and cuddling next to the love of your life wrapped in oversized hoodies. Yes, sometimes polish provoke memories. This is one. When I first got this I honestly did not think I would care for this color, but once on my nail I swooned instantly. The formula was perfect. This is two coats. I'm in love.

SMOKED OUT- 
"smoked out"- this polish did NOT match its name. (I would have switched the names of smoked out and edgy, but what do I know). This polish was another "hmmmm" polish in the bottle, but once on the nail, it is TO DIE FOR. I do not have another polish like this. It is a dark teal "jungle" (to quote crayola) green, with shimmery silver glass fleck. It pretty much glows in the sun. It's formula was a bit thin, but well worth the effort in my opinion. 

DARKEST SHADOW- 
"darkest shadow" - WOW WHAT A POLISH! Now,  let me add, I'm a huge huge HUGE fan of black polish. So naturally, I love the "is that black" type polishes. They are more grown up than black, but still classy. Maybe not so much in the summer or spring, but fall and winter...they are absolutely perfect. This polish falls in that line. It's black, with red shimmer/fleck and micro glitter. Dark, sexy, vampy...oh how I love thee. Formula wise, it was a bit thick (I know right?! Completely opposite of the rest of this line!) But with two drops of thinner, it was perfect. I cannot wait till late fall to rock this polish hard! 


All in all, in my complete and honest opinion, there were wins and losses. This collection was...comme ci comme ca. I'm absolutely keeping the last two polishes, but when i have my next destash, the rest are sure to be in there. 

disclaimer- these polishes were purchased. the above review is 100% my own thoughts and opinions. 






3 comments:

  1. i love blend. oh my gosh so perfect for fall! i think it'd be great on fingers and toes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your blog!! These are beautiful. Just so you know it's the "smoky" collection. Without the e :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post! I'll take smoked out if you ever get tired of it ;)

    ReplyDelete